Sunday, October 24, 2010

Why?

I am going to use this blog as a blank slate. We are homeschooling our boys (now 7, 6, and 4) and I'll be using this blog to ponder our journey. Bits and pieces shall all end up here, I'm sure.

Organization. Not one of my strong suits. Here is our most recent attempt at a weekly schedule. I have to remind myself that this will always be a work in progress.

With the ages the boys are now, I am wanting to cover the basics. And as I don't have a fluent read-aloner yet, most of the learning is centred around my assistance. We are starting our day with the Word of God: Jesus A to Z by Yvonne Riley or a psalm. Then we cover maths (Maths-U-See), and speed maths (rolling dice and the boys add the numbers: as many as they can do in 2 minutes: they have fun trying to beat their earlier score: for Nate (4) we leave one die on either 1 or 2); handwriting, right now we're doing some worksheets to help them form their letters consistently, and we did a Bible copywork book (which the boys loved!); Reading, which we're using AlphaPhonics and sight-word cards (some on the iPod), and phonic games.
Reading aloud is one of my favourite parts, so I won't skip that one. Last week we read The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary. One I picked up at the library that we absolutely loved was The Railway Children by E. Nesbitt.

I am working to incorporate a 'focus' of the day: something like Mondays: Geography, Tuesday: History, Wednesday: Nature Study, etc. Hmmm... We'll see. At least this is a beginning.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

2 comments:

  1. um... sometimes I can write correctly... let's have another go:

    What great possibilities we have before us! Oh homeschooling. It's such a wide expanse, so many things we can do. So much that God can do... :) He's used teaching my kids to teach me SO many times!
    :) I'm so glad we've met.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how things go :)

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great Jen! You are doing such a wonderful things! We LOVED "The Railway Children" too! xo nett

    ReplyDelete